1 tb Butter cubed at room
-temperature; ( to grease
; bundt pan)
1 tb Flour; (to dust pan)
2 Sticks butter at room
1 c Sugar
2 c Flour
1 ts Baking powder
1 pn Salt
2 tb Lemon zest
5 Lemons; Juice of
1 c Sugar
1/2 c Sugar
2 pt Berries; (preferably
; strawberries and
1/4 c Grand Marnier; (or your
6 Scoops vanilla bean ice
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Grease a 9 inch by 5 inch by 3 inch
loaf pan (or a bundt pan) with 1 tablespoon of butter. Flour the pan with 1
tablespoon of flour.
2. For cake: In an electric mixer fitted with a whip, cream 2 sticks of
butter. Add 1 cup of sugar and mix until mixture is light and fluffy. Add
the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each egg. In a mixing bowl,
combine 2 cups of flour, baking powder, and salt. With the machine running,
add 1/2 cup at a time of the flour mixture to the creamed butter mixture.
Mix well, then fold in the lemon zest.
3. Pour the filling into the prepared pan and bake for 50 minutes or until
it is firm in the center. Remove from the oven and let cool on a wired rack
for 10 minutes.
4. For lemon syrup: In a sauce pan over medium heat, bring the lemon juice
and 1 cup of sugar to a boil. Let boil until the mixture reduces by half
(about 2-3 minutes). Remove from heat and cool.
5. With a wooden skewer make several holes on the top of the cake and pour
half the lemon syrup across the top, letting it drip into the holes. Brush
the sides of the cake with the remaining syrup.
6. For berries: Combine berries, sugar, and liquor, mix well and
refrigerate for 2 to three hours.
7. Slice cake into 1 inch slices. Place a slice of the cake in the center
of each plate, adding one scoop of ice cream to each piece. Top each scoop
with another slice of cake, forming a sandwich. Spoon the macerated berries
Yields 6 servings