1/2 lb Shelled cooked crab
1/2 c Mayonnaise
1/2 c Minced carrots
1/2 c Minced celery
1 1/2 ts Lemon juice
2 White bread slices
1 tb Salad oil
Fresh cilantro sprigs
PASILLA CHILI AIOLI
1 Large dried pasilla chili
1 cn Sliced pimientos (4 oz)
1 tb Olive oil
1 Chopped garlic clove
3 tb Dry white wine
1 ts Lemon juice
1/4 c Chicken broth
1/4 c Mayonnaise
1. Mix crab, mayonnaise, carrots, celery, and lemon juice. Add salt and
pepper and cayenne to taste.
2. Tear bread into chunks; whirl in a blender or food processor until
crumbs form; mound crumbs on a plate. Drop 1/4-cup portions crab mixture
into crumbs, and sprinkle crumbs over top; pat into 1/2″-thick cakes.
3. Place a 10-12″ nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Lightly coat pan
with oil and cook cakes, using a wide spatula to turn once, until browned
on both sides, about 4 minutes total.
4. Place cakes on salad plates; keep warm. Garnish with cilantro. Add aioli
*** PASILLA CHILI AIOLI ***
1. Remove and discard stems and seeds from dried pasilla; rinse chili. With
scissors, cut the chili in 1/2″ pieces.
2. Drain pimientos; pat dry.
3. In a 10-12″ frying pan combine olive oil, chili, pimientos and garlic.
Stir over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add wine and lemon juice. Stir over
high heat until most of the liquid evaporates, about 1 minute. Add chicken
broth; boil, uncovered, until liquid is reduced to 1/4 cup, about 2
minutes. Let cool.
4. Whirl mixture in a blender or food processor with mayonnaise until
smoothly pureed. Add salt and pepper to taste. Makes 1/2 cup.
~ Anton Brunbauer, Hyatt Regency Scottsdale, Scottsdale AZ